August 28, 2005

The Big One


Katrina approaches the mouth of the Mississippi River

No audio with this post, although the eye of this storm is so circular that I can't help being reminded of the hole of a spinning record. It's just playing a terrible song.

I live a little over 100 miles to the West of New Orleans; and it looks like our area is more or less out of harm's way for this pass. Time will tell. But there is no doubt that the city whose music is the continual subject of this blog is due for some serious, if not catastrophic, weather very soon.

New Olreans can be a hard place to live, but one that also offers some very enriching and enjoyable qulaities of life, in defiance of its often less than ideal climate and precarious location. In that spirit, no matter what happens, I plan to keep on investigating and celebrating the city's vibrant and undying groove music here. If my internet connection and power hold out, I'll be posting some again soon.

If you will, join with me in keeping the people of New Orleans and environs in your thoughts, send prayers if you have 'em, light candles, and hope for the best during its time of danger and ultimate restoration. Send money to the Red Cross or other applicable organizations that can help those in need there. And when you lock into a HOTG groove, consider how valuable, miraculous and healing music can be. I know that's what's going to help me get through this.
Peace,
Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger Todd Lucas said...

Amen to all of that. Keep up the good work.

8:11 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Larry Grogan said...

I hope all is well Dan. I've been thinking a lot about New Orleans today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3:29 PM, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dan,

first of all thanks for a fantastic blog. Larry's and yours are the ones I try to check regularly.

I just watched the news on TV (it's about 9pm here) and I'm horrified. At the moment I don't see a reason why the situation should get better in NOLA but nevertheless I sincere hope so.

All the best to all the people in Lousiana and the other states.

2:18 PM, August 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dominik

2:19 PM, August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home