September 01, 2005

All the news I can stand to post. . .

To say I am in utter disbelief about the aftermath of Katrina is to seriously understate the case. Anyway, I've got some music to post later tonight, I hope, to get my mind off the never-ending bad news in my part of the planet.

Just to throw in some music related distaster news, here are a couple of items sent to me by friends at WEVL in Memphis today.

Fats Domino and others were/are missing, or at least unaccounted for. What's up with Allen Toussaint having to go to the Superdome, the refuge of last resort? He's one of the stars of HOTG and not a poor person, or so I thought. He drives a Rolls, or did. And now he is being taken to the Astrodome? That's better than Superdome Hell; but, has he no kinfolk, no friends to stay with, no line on a motel somewhere? Forgive me for trying to make sense of anything to do with all this.

And, here's the story that tells of Fat's rescue.

To quote Stevie, "heaven help us all".

Friday, September 2 - One of my readers, e-unit, posted this in the comments: "Hello Dan, greetings from Chicago. Did Eddie Bo make it out unharmed? How about other New Orleans greats such as Dave Bartholomew, Cosmo Massima, and Huey "Piano" Smith?"

I have have no news about these legends. As I recall, Huey Smith has lived in the Baton Rogue area for many years. Other people are asking these same questions. I suggest any of you who are interested might check the message boards of several New Orleans sites, Offbeat and WWOZ (see my links to the left), that are still operational by some miracle. Also, for other fairly current New Orleans updates, try
nola.com.

Use this link to contribute to Red Cross disaster relief.




5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eddie bo was in france in august
last time i heard about him
he was in a usa airport & he could'nt get to NO

11:31 AM, September 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they found fats on Thursday nights, he's ok

5:22 PM, September 03, 2005  
Blogger The Reaper said...

The Offbeat message board says Eddie Bo is safe in Lafayette!

Offbeat's forums have a lot of info about who has been heard from, as do the forums at rebirthbrassband.com and neworleansbands.net.

1:31 AM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

Thanks, Reaper. Hope I run into Eddie around town; but there are about 40,000 evacuees here!

I am still in shock and things are hectic around here. I just can't seem to get it together to post news, although I'll try to post some music. I am also gathering music to send to some radio folks helping to get WWOZ's webcast back up from another location.

Some of my wife's family lived in New Orleans and Slidell and have lost pretty much all they had, but are safe.
9/4/05

11:31 AM, September 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American Red Cross is a world institut very sure and highly reliable.

2:25 PM, December 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home