March 15, 2006

Another King Passes

As my my friend, Red Kelly, over at The "B" Side notified me yesterday, the great New Orleans soul and funk performer and songwriter, King Floyd, has passed away. Red has an obituary up at his fine site, plus one of Floyd's early sides, recorded in California. As I can't get to posting a King Floyd track for a while (plenty of material, but no time!), I'm glad Red has something to remember him by.

Also, while you're there, check out that great Ann Peebles track he has up. Love that Memphis woman.

Update: soul sides also has some tracks by King Floyd up now, too. I will do a post on him next week and am also working on an interview with one of his collaborators during the Malaco days that I hope to have for you fairly soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home